There are certain designated places where hair is found in our body. Sometimes the abundance of hair growth in these areas goes out of bounds. Likewise, there are also peculiar parts that play host to strands of hair—parts where there should not be any growth at all.
Do these excess and unwanted hairs bug you with their existence? Have you tried over-the-counter hair removal remedies and grown tired of using them? How much money do waxing salons get from you every year? Are you in search of a more effective way of removing those stubborn hairs?
You are not alone in this. A lot of people actually have the same hair problems that you have. That is why this article presents a procedure that can address your hair-raising crisis: Laser Hair Removal.
Dr Edwin Lim from Edwin Lim Medical Aesthetic Clinic is an expert in this procedure. Read this article to get more info about his knowledge on laser hair removal and other tips.
Laser Hair Removal: The Works
You may not be aware of it, but laser hair removal in Singapore has been used for a long time as a method for permanent removal of unwanted hair. Lasers, when used for hair removal, make use of a single energy-charged wavelength of light beam that is focused on hair located at a certain part of the skin that needs the treatment. The light concentrated in that area is absorbed by the hair’s pigment and penetrates through, reaching the hair follicle and eventually destroying it.
Laser Hair Removal: The Device
There are currently three types of lasers used by Singapore doctors for laser hair removal. These are:
- Alexandrite Laser (755 nm)
- Diode Laser (800 to 810 nm)
- ND:YAG Laser (1,064 nm)
Each laser is used for different kinds of skin condition and types of hair. Alexandrite lasers effectively treat dark coloured, medium to coarse hair on fair to mid-toned skin. Diode lasers are efficient in treating fine and dark coloured hair on fair to mid-toned skin. ND:YAG lasers are best for addressing coarse hair on the skin that have a darker skin tone.
Laser Hair Removal: The Brands
The most popular brands of laser used for hair removal in Singapore are:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the advantages of laser hair removal?
Using laser for your hair removal treatment brings a lot of benefits. These include:
- Ability to select and eliminate hair follicles at the same time
- Ability to treat all areas of the body
- Considerably a faster procedure that produces more effective results as compared to intense pulsed light (IPL)
- Cost-effective following successful and permanent hair removal as compared to repeated waxing at salons
- Effectively achieve permanent reduction of hair following repeated sessions of laser treatment
- A safe procedure that requires no downtime
2. What are the disadvantages of laser hair removal?
When advantages are present, you can be sure that there are disadvantages as well. Lasers are not entirely perfect. These are some of the disadvantages of laser hair removal:
- Inability to permanently remove hair in just a single session
- Inability to successfully remove white hair
- Can cause some side effects to the skin
- Although generally applicable for all types of skin, the results may vary between patients depending on the type of hair and skin tone to be removed
3. Is laser hair removal painful?
There is minimal pain or discomfort when undergoing a laser hair removal procedure. When the patient’s pain tolerance is low or to avoid feeling any sensation during the treatment, numbing cream is applied to the target area.
4. Are there side effects to this kind of treatment?
Side effects following a laser hair removal treatment are minimal and temporary. These include:
- Minor swelling of the treatment area
- Slight redness of skin
- Possible development of excess pigmentation on the target area, especially for patients that have darker skin
5. Which parts of the body can laser hair removal treat?
Laser hair removal can be used to treat all parts of the body. Women mostly have their face, lip area, arms, legs, nipples, underarms, and buttocks treated. Men, on the other hand, get laser hair removal for their chest, back, ears, and face.
6. How long does a treatment take?
A session of laser hair removal is done fast. The treatment is completed in 30 minutes or less and can be easily inserted within your lunch break.
7. Are there foods that should not be consumed after a session of laser hair removal?
There are certain foods that can cause irritation to the skin following a session of laser hair removal, such as spicy food.
On the contrary, do load up on foods rich with vitamin C and E to aid the recovery of your skin quickly.
Edwin Lim Medical Aesthetic Clinic
#02-12/13 Changi City Point,
5 Changi Business Park Central 1,
+65 6904 2218